In 2014, after a proud history producing metallurgical coke, the Corrimal Coke Works closed its doors. As a place of ongoing importance to the people of Corrimal and the Illawarra region, the Illawarra Coke Company (ICC) and Legacy Property plan to transform the derelict site into a vibrant community that serves and benefits the current and future residents of Corrimal and the Wollongong region.
Our rezoning proposal for this unique 18 hectare property represents the largest brownfield urban renewal project in the Illawarra and will provide a catalyst for the growth of Corrimal into its identified role as the major centre for the northern suburbs while showcasing Wollongong’s future as the city of innovation.
With its location directly adjacent to Corrimal train station and proximity to a broad range of services and amenity, Corrimal Coke Works represents the best location for new housing development in the northern suburbs of Wollongong.
Investing in Wollongong
In line with the Coke Work’s proud history of being a major contributor to the area, our plan is to bring a significant number of new jobs and opportunities to Illawarra locals.
- 2,400 construction jobs
- 140 permanent jobs
- A total contribution of $750 million to the local economy.
For many decades the Corrimal Coke Works has been inaccessible to the community, dividing the Corrimal escarpment from its coast. Our plan is to reconnect Corrimal and create a place that is open to all.
- New walking paths and cycleways creating broader regional connections
- A new heritage precinct and village plaza next to the station with a small neighbourhood retail centre
- A diverse range of new housing choices
- Opportunities for start-ups and flexible working
- Conserving significant items of heritage
Conserving the Environment
Nearly 50% of the site will become public green space and existing degraded environments will be rehabilitated.
Key environmental outcomes include:
- Retention of the existing significant trees along Railway Station and along other site boundaries where possible
- Extensive rehabilitation of the creek following its realignment and creation of new ecological habitat areas
- Protecting the existing flying fox colony
- Best practice stormwater management
Further opportunities for leading sustainability initiatives will be explored in the future as part of the detailed building design.